Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Echo Beach, far away in time.... 

Lately I've discovered (and rediscovered) a lot of  songs that I love from back in the day, and I'd like to start posting some of the more obscure/weird/awesome videos here on my beloved bloggy thing. I will try my best to make this a regular feature...for as long as I remember to, anyway. How's that for vague promises?  

I'll start with Martha and the Muffins, because I absolutely love this song. 



This video is from Top of the Pops, my favorite repository of long-forgotten British hits. "Echo Beach" failed to make the Hot 100 here in the States, but it climbed to #10 on the UK charts and peaked in the band's native Canada at #5.

Visually, the band is almost avant-garde in their frumpiness. Lead singer Martha Johnson looks as if she really did just punch out of her "very boring" office clerk job. But I love her deadpan delivery, the pensive lyrics, and of course the kick-ass synthesizer riff. The saxophone solo I can do without, but saxophone solos were hard to avoid back then.

With this new maybe-regular feature, I will try my best to post more than just obscure eighties new wave, but I can't promise anything.

What can I say? I'm a new wave freak.

2 comments:

Ms Sparrow said...

Are you reminiscing about the olden days? I find that kinda cute in someone as young as you. Enjoy!

andiepants said...

Someone as young as me? Thank you Janice!

I don't feel old, but I feel "older" sometimes. That's okay though. I like being 38! :-)