Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Okay. I can't sleep, so I'm having a bowl of Rice Krispies and drinking Chamomile tea and trying to make myself drowsy without resorting to stronger chemical substances. I'm browsing through The Onion and some of my other usual haunts, and I suddenly get a wild hair up my ass and decide to look for solid proof that I did not hallucinate a '70s Saturday morning cartoon that I've been trying to convince people for years really existed. (awkward sentence, I know, but I'm getting tired--I think the tea is finally kicking in). Seriously though, I've had this come up in conversation so many times, usually when engaging in intellectual discussions with fellow Gen-Xers regarding Scooby-Doo, Josie and the Pussycats, Land of the Lost, and other compelling evidence that the people behind children's programming in the '70s were high, high, HIGH. And I'll be like, "You guys remember Goober and the Ghost Chasers?" And everyone invariably just responds with blank stares and a lot of "huh?"s. And I go, "Yeah, it was like a Scooby-Doo rip-off with a big ugly green dog and these kids that went around solving mysteries and, y'know, chasing ghosts." And everyone's like, "Nope, never heard of it." And the conversation usually turns back to the old "Shaggy and Scooby toking up in the Mystery Machine" and the sexual orientation of Velma. (or is it Thelma? I can never remember). So, the point of this post is this: There really was a cheap Scooby-Doo knock-off called Goober and the Ghost Chasers.

See? Told ya!

Now maybe I can get some sleep.

No comments: